Associate Architect and
with Thomas Hacker Architects (Architect of Record)
This branch library, built in 1951 and located in a city park, was renovated and expanded under the Branch Library Improvement Program (BLIP). The existing building is a fine example of mid-century modern design, and as interior designer and associate architect in collaboration with THA of Portland, we took great care to preserve and restore its architectural beauty and character. The library now has a dedicated Teen area and improved work spaces, is up to code and fully accessible, and incorporates 21st century technology. In keeping with our intent to maintain the integrity of the existing library we refinished and re-upholstered the original Thonet oak chairs; we uncovered the original copper fireplace in the children’s area and refurbished it, while transforming its adjacent brick hearth into a built-in bench for story-time seating; and restored the rear courtyard and landscape to enhance the building’s connection to the outdoors. The building achieved LEED Silver certification.
Photos by Cesar Rubio